Sunday, November 14, 2004

Mistaken Identity

I think I am going to have to keep better track of these type of encounters because it happens to me a lot. Way more frequently to just consider them random acts of confusion. Off the top of my head, here are a few examples:

  • On Saturday, I was walking down a well lit hallway of the Westin with a name tag on towards a woman on a bench and she called me Matt. Apparantly I look like a lot like her son.
  • A couple months ago, a young volunteer at work said I looked a lot like an "industry person" that had appeared on the crappy reality TV show Pop Stars.
  • A local business owner started talking to me at a reception, thinking I worked for the Propellor brewing company.
  • At a reastaurant on Argyle street, a waitress asked me if I got her e-mail. Apparantly, I look like a guy from the Delta.
  • Years ago in Sydney, a very large man came pretty close to "dealing witih me" because he thought I had been hanging out of the window of a car yelling racial slurs at him.

    The only explanation I have is that I have been dealt the same set of facial features as dozens of other males. The thing I wonder is how many of the people I do run into during the course of a day might actually think I am someone else? Or strangers that see me that think we already met and I am ignoring them? Weird. It is also strange that this happens to me, considering I know about six or so people that share my name as well and result in confusing phone calls and e-mails from people I don't know.

  • No comments: